Physical Plant

The FM [Facilities Management] Garage provides maintenance and upkeep for the University’s fleet of vehicles, and is responsible for maintaining all records for preventive maintenance servicing and repairs of University-owned campus vehicles.

Frequently Asked Questions

Who should I call with questions regarding vehicle maintenance and repair?

Questions regarding vehicle maintenance and repair should be directed to the Automotive Shop Foreman (972.883.2261).

What are my some of my responsibilities as a driver of a University-owned vehicle?

  1. Observe and obey all local, state and federal laws.
  2. Use reasonable care in operating and maintaining vehicle.
  3. Use the vehicle for official University business only.
  4. Maintain a valid State of Texas Driver’s License and complete driver safety training every 3 years.
  5. Secure and lock vehicle when unattended.
  6. Complete Monthly Use Report (mileage log) on a daily basis.
  7. Complete Monthly Vehicle Safety Inspection Report.
  8. Report any and all vehicle malfunctions or maintenance needs and schedule for service by filling out a Garage Repair Order (PDF [Portable Document Format File] ). Please include the cost center and vehicle unit number.
  9. Bring the vehicle to the FM [Facilities Management] Garage once a year for a safety inspection during the month that the annual State inspection is due.
  10. Obtain receipts for all purchases. Show vehicle license plate number on the receipt with a description of the item(s) and cost of each.

What monthly reports am I required to fill out and where do I turn them in?

Motor Vehicle Use Reporting
  1. State law requires each driver of a University-owned licensed vehicle to complete a Monthly Use Report (mileage log).
  2. The State requires that each driver of a University-owned licensed vehicle complete a Monthly Vehicle Safety Inspection Report.
  3. Each month, mail or deliver the reports to Facilities Management, Mail Stop FM 11. Facilities Management personnel will input this data into the Texas Fleet Management System.
Operational Expense Reporting
  1. State law requires state agencies and universities to report operational expenses for motor vehicles, including but not limited to fuel, preventative maintenance, repairs, and other expenses.
  2. All data for fuel, repairs, and services provided by the FM [Facilities Management] Garage will be entered into the Texas Fleet Management System.
  3. For vehicle maintenance or repair service performed by outside vendors, documentation should be attached each month to the Monthly Use Report and mailed or delivered to Facilities Management, Mail Stop FM 11. FM [Facilities Management] personnel will input this data into the Texas Fleet Management System.

What do I do in the case of vehicle failure?

In the case of vehicle failure, notify your immediate supervisor who will report the problem to the Automotive Shop Foreman (972.883.2261).

What do I do if I’m involved in an accident while driving a University-owned vehicle?

Reporting Accidents: Accidents must be reported to the University Fleet Manager within 24 hours of occurrence. The vehicle custodian is responsible for completing the First Notice of Loss (PDF [Portable Document Format File] ) form and forwarding it to Facilities Management, Mail Stop FM 11.

On UT Dallas Property
(Including Callier Center / Center for BrainHealth®)

Immediately notify UTD Police (972.883.2222) or 911. Do NOT move the vehicle until authorized by the investigating Police Agency. If another vehicle is involved, Police will document the accident scene, note damage incurred, obtain the other driver’s license number, provide vehicle description, and other pertinent details.

On Public Streets

Immediately contact Police at 911 to request emergency assistance. Also, tell Police that a State vehicle has been involved in an accident and a Police report is needed. Request the Police report number and write it on the First Notice of Loss (PDF [Portable Document Format File] ) form that you submit to Facilities Management.

DO NOT ADMIT FAULT and do not sign any document other than for a licensed authority such as Police.

If the Police will not come to the accident site, get the following information:

  • Name
  • Address
  • Phone Number
  • Name of Insurance Company and Policy Number
  • Driver’s License Number
  • Color, Make, and Model of Vehicle
  • License Plate Number

Where do I get gasoline for University-owned vehicles?

Gasoline services are provided for all University-owned vehicles at the gasoline pumps located on the north side of the Safety and Grounds (SG) building. Please contact the Automotive Shop Foreman (972.883.2261) for access to the pumps. Vehicles other than those owned by UTD shall not use these facilities.